28 November 2018

Recommended genealogy books: Britain and Ireland

This post on my series of recommended books covers Britain and Ireland.
 
Britain
 
Ancestral Trails ($38-60)  
I was impressed with my reading of the book as a stand-out general guide for Britain, as well as impressed with the endorsements or reviews it received. 
 
The Parish Chest ($20-43) 
This book on my shelf was recommended to me in my genealogy master’s program from the University of Strathclyde and I appreciate it for the lengths it goes to in discussing parish chest records. Any lengthy and well-done guide on one specific type of records always draws my interest as it treats that record in much greater depth than a general guide can.
 
Manorial Records ($17-55) 
Like The Parish Chest, it is enlightening to have a full book dedicated to manorial records. Such records are touched on in more general guides. Due to land ownership differences, these records are foreign to those familiar with United States research, but are a valuable record set for early British, Scottish, or Irish families.
 
Understanding Documents for Genealogy and Local History ($28-45)  
This book on my shelf has an impressive coverage of many various documents a genealogist researching in Britain would come across, including treatments of numerous lesser known or ancient document types.
 
Referencing for Genealogists: Sources and Citation ($12-27)  
Buyer beware, this guide contradicts what you are taught about citing sources in educational programs in the United States. The author speaks out against using Evidence Explained and Chicago style which is the accepted standard in the United States. However, I list it because I believe the very best genealogists will make themselves aware of any conflicts in methods used by genealogists worldwide. I list it with British books because it comes from a citation tradition springing out of Scotland’s University of Strathclyde.
 
Genealogy: Essential Research Methods ($13-20)  
This one on my shelf is one I recommend just if you want to get a flavor for how a more general guide focuses on genealogy methodology in general, written from the perspective of a British genealogist. As I said, I am a fan of understanding multiple perspectives. 
 
Tracing Your Ancestors from 1066 to 1837 Kindle Edition ($9) 
It is of interest to have guides that focus solely on the earlier period when the research gets harder pre-civil registration.
 
Ireland
 
Tracing Your Irish Ancestors: The Complete Guide 4th Edition ($23-42) 
This is my top recommendation for a general guide on Irish genealogy.
 
Researching Scots-Irish Ancestors: The essential genealogical guide to early modern Ulster, 1600-1800 2nd Edition ($10-30)  
I’ve been reading this one over the past month or so, and really enjoying the detailed dive into research in this specific region during this difficult period. The author is insightful and details an impressive number of various record types. He recommends some more books as well in his book.
 
One of my favorite Irish genealogy bloggers Claire Santry is a stand-out expert in the field who keeps on top of all new developments. Her blog IrishGenealogyNews.com is well worth adding to your RSS feeds. She has a book on Irish genealogy called The Family Tree Irish Genealogy Guide: How to Trace Your Ancestors in Ireland. ($13-19) https://amzn.to/2TNo0Yo
 
Disclaimer: It is my hope that this list helps you. That said, it takes time and expertise to provide these useful resource lists. Please use the provided links to make any purchases, as Amazon will send me a small percentage somewhere around 5% and it wont affect the price you pay. Opinions are not influenced by this arrangement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind and thoughtful comments.